Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

When planning is too much

Since labor (of course) is the thing I am most afraid of when it comes to pregnancy, I've tried to educate myself the most on the subject. I figure the more knowledge the more power. I was not expecting there to be a vast difference in opinions on every matter regarding child birth. Home births, Water births, C-Sections, induced labor, all natural labor, epidurals and the list goes on and on. My mother always boasts that she had both me and my sister all natural, with no pain medication. She always laughs and says "well I took a Tylenol afterward." I really know people who have had every choice on the spectrum, so what do you choose?
I read an article this morning on the risks of induced labor. While I was not really in favor of this in the beginning, this article really solidified my decision.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110218111817.htm
 This article links induced labor with a higher rate of C-Sections needed, longer time spend in the hospital for both mother and baby, and longer healing time after labor.
While this is my opinion, I know people who have been induced and have had generally easy births (minus they were all a little lengthy). This article is directed at the first time parent, which is what I care about...

No comments:

Post a Comment