Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Baby Bin

This project started a few months ago. The idea is simple: babies are expensive, so the more time you have to save up for one the better.
The first thing I did was go to the store and get a basic storage container (mine is pink because I am secretly hoping for a girl.) Every paycheck you put something baby related into the bin. Over the course of a year you will have put about 50 items into your bin!

Here is what is in my bin so far:
* Costco pack of diapers size 2
* Costco pack of wipes
* Basic white onesies
* The pregnancy Journal
* A pack of binkies
* A sleeping onesie
* A blanket
* A pack of little white socks

This little project does two things. 1) keeps me busy with what I'm going to buy next and 2) takes the expenses and draws them out over time.

Take a look at this calculator and see how much a baby will cost you.

http://www.teenageparent.org/english/costofbaby2B.html

Now this website includes everything you can think of,  it might open your eyes to the expenses you will face. On average you can expect to spend $10,000 on your baby in the first year and that doesn't include the money your not earning while staying at home...

2 comments:

  1. Not personally planning on having children for quite awhile yet but I love how planned you are and this is a brilliant idea. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing the same thing for the past year! I really enjoy it but I think it makes my husband nervous, he is finishing up school and only working very part time right now.

    ReplyDelete