Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Prenatal vitamins

When should you start taking them, do you know? Well I attempted to find out online and that did not go over so well. Some websites say "start taking them 1 year before you plan to be pregnant" others say "6 months before is ideal" and yet still other websites claim " start taking them the month you plan to become pregnant." So which one is correct? Well luckily for me, I had my yearly feminine exam coming up (yay) and was able to get the scoop from my doctor. She just recently had a baby 6 months ago, so it was nice to be able to pick her brain a little.
She said  "I wish they would relabel those 'fertile years' vitamins" The correct time frame is 6 months prior. To allow your body to create stores of these essential vitamins, and you need to continue these vitamins while you are breast feeding and for a few months after you are done breast feeding to store those vitamins up again.

What about kinds of prenatal vitamins? There are so many different brands out there, how do you which one is best? Her simple answer was "compare the ingredients on the back, if they are the same there is no need to choose the pricey brands, generic is fine"

Well I'm glad that question was solved! I still need to get a baby item soon! Maybe I will have more time today to search!

No comments:

Post a Comment